Friday, August 19, 2011

Unstuffed Pepper Bake

This meal is so yummy. In fact, I looked forward to eating the leftovers. My mouth would water as I smelled it warm up in the microwave. I grew up eating stuffed peppers. My mom makes the best ones! But I never liked eating the pepper, only the mixture inside the pepper. So, when I saw a recipe for this, I had to make my own version. Oh, and I had a coupon to save money on a set of tricolored peppers - even better.

1 pound hamburger
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 each - red, yellow and green pepper, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-14.5oz can diced tomatoes, drained
1 1/2 cups instant rice
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 cups cheddar cheese, divided
1-15oz tomato sauce

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Combine the hamburger, onion powder, peppers, garlic and salt in a large skillet. Saute until the meat is cooked through and the vegetables are tender. Stir in the tomatoes, rice and Worcestershire sauce. Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of cheese. Spread the mixture into a 9x13 pan. Top with tomato sauce and sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes, or until heated through and cheese is melted and bubbly. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

No comments: