Monday, August 15, 2011

Sarah's Salad

The other day my hubbie and I were invited over to our friend's for dinner and games. Dinner was this salad and I have to say, it was incredible. One of the best things I have had in forever! So I had to make it at home for me and my hubs another time. The best part is, there are several components, but if served buffet style each person can add as much or as little of each part they like. Our friends used a flavored Ranch dressing, but I didn't have any when I made it. I loved it without dressing, my hubbie made due with some dressing from our fridge. When I made the rice in my rice cooker, I just added a canned of drained pinto beans with the uncooked rice as the way to cook them.

1 - 2 pound pork roast
1 cup barbeque sauce
2 cups of uncooked rice and a can of drained pinto beans, cooked together
1 head of romaine lettuce, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
2 avocados, chopped
dressing of your choice

Cook the pork roast until you can pull it apart with a fork. I put mine in the crockpot, on low, for 6 to 7 hours. Once you pull the pork apart, stir in the barbeque sauce.

Meanwhile, about 1/2 hour before the pork is done, cook the rice and beans. While they are cooking, cut the lettuce, red pepper and avocados. Place each in a separate bowl. Place the pork and the rice and beans into separate bowls when finished cooking. Assemble the salad for each individual, adding as much or as little of each food as desired. Then dig in and enjoy!! Thanks Sarah for sharing this amazing salad!

1 comment:

gaylene said...

yum! I need to remember to make this salad this week! thanks :)