Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Pan-fried Zucchini

There is an older neighbor near me who has a large property and grows all kinds of foods to sell. He is amazing!! I bought some zucchini from him and brought it home to make it into zucchini bread with a friend of mine. My husband was so excited (not like we have never had zucchini before) and instantly requested pan fried zucchini like his mom made. So I called her up, and she told me how she makes it. She doesn't have a recipe but eyes it as she goes. When I made it for dinner that night, my husband declared it was just like his mom made. Yeah!! The batter ends up being like a tempura around the zucchini. It's quite liquid before it's cooked. It needs salt and pepper but I prefer to sprinkle it on at the end, rather than add it to the batter.

1/2 to 1 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/4 cup flour
3 Tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 large zucchini, cut into rounds and 1/4 inch thick
salt and pepper to taste

Heat the oil in a large saucepan. You only need it to cover the bottom of the pan - that's why there is a range on the oil amount.

Whisk the egg. Whisk in the flour, milk and garlic powder until smooth. Dip the zucchini into the mixture, flipping over to cover both sides. Fry in the heated oil for about 1 minute, flip and cook for an additional minute. Zucchini should be cooked but still crisp.

No comments: