Sunday, August 7, 2011

Maple Sugar Cookies

I actually made these cookies way back on July 1st to celebrate Canada Day! I had started to look back through all these recipes and found all these things I had planned for different holidays. Too bad I didn't make any of them. Guess I have it all planned out for next year. But I was headed to a friend's house to celebrate Canada Day and I just had to make these this year. And these aren't just maple by their shape, they are packed full of maple flavor. I think these might become a yearly tradition.

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup maple syrup
3 drops maple extract
1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups flour

Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the maple syrup, maple extract and egg yolk until mixture is well combined. Add the salt and flour, mix thoroughly. 

Chill the dough (trying not to eat too much), wrapped in plastic wrap, until firm, about 2 hours. 

Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray cookie sheets with non-stick cooking spray.
Divide dough in half. Lightly flour surface. Roll out dough 1/8 inch thick and with a 3-inch floured maple-leaf cookie cutter cut out cookies. Arrange cookies on prepared baking sheets. Continue until all dough is used.

Bake about 12 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.

No comments: